In 9 days, I'll be done this ridiculous sham that I've been putting up with for the past year. I'm so looking forward to entering the real world because I'm tired of this whole university atmosphere. It's really stifling: especially dealing with my arrogant schoolmates who look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I'm going to ditch getting a graduate degree in science in favour of going to art school. Honestly, one of the reasons I'm so over this whole atmosphere is this naive belief that the successful ones in life are the ones who follow the rule book and get good grades. I'm not going to dispute the benefits of working hard to do well. It's true that with a decent degree and a small measure of luck that you've got a decent chance at landing a job. But the biggest successes, the greatest innovators, and some of the greatest contributors to humanity were absolute shit at school. If they event went to college.Aside from that, what a mundane life most must lead.
I would much rather live frugally while doing something that intrigues me than something that bores the hell out of me. Yes, I know that the bed I'm making myself is not going to be glamorous and I know how few people succeed in this industry and it's not even that I'm confident in my chances. I would just rather live a fulfilling life filled with new experiences and small pleasures. I'm not quite sure how people can't understand that. Then again, many of the science students I am acquainted with are mot particularly open-minded (read: shamelessly believe in slut-shaming).
No comments:
Post a Comment